Friday, November 18, 2011

I'm not blessed

Most people that are close to me know that I sneeze a lot, and most people who meet me find out pretty quickly. There always comes a time in the early stages of getting to know someone, where they finally give up on saying "bless you" when I sneeze. Sometimes, they just eventually stop, but other times they make a point of saying, "ok enough, you just sneeze far too much, I'm just going to stop saying bless you!" It's ok, you're exempt. You're not being rude, I understand. What worries me is what I discovered when I researched why we say 'bless you'. It all stems from an ancient superstition that after you sneeze, you're slightly incapacitated, and bad spirits can enter your body, so people say bless you to keep them away. Maybe I'm fine though, because I'm not quite sure I believe in spirits anyhow. Btw, don't google sneezing. You'll find gross pictures like this one:

No comments:

Post a Comment