Wednesday, March 6, 2013

All Dogs Go to Heaven = Not a kids movie

My sister came over the other night, and with a feeling of nostalgia, suggested we watch one of her favourite childhood movies, All Dogs Go to Heaven. If you haven't seen this movie, let me recap for you, keeping in mind it's rated G. When the dogs aren't smoking, drinking and gambling, they're trying to kill each other. At one point on of the dogs goes to hell, where there's a lava pit and skeletons. Also, a family of rebel mice abduct them and sacrifice them to an alligator, who falls in love with the main dog Charlie and ends up saving them later in the film.

I spent most of the first half of the movie with my mouth hanging open, wondering how it could ever be considered a kids movie. Then I called my dad and asked him how he would ever let us watch it, nonetheless over and over again. In researching that the movie came out in 1989, which doesn't account for how inappropriate it is, I just found out they did a sequel in 1996. Wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment